TOP STORIES

6/recent/ticker-posts

Roque is right! Filipinos must accept whatever COVID vaccine comes first — Galvez

By Deighton Acuin

PHOTO: GMA News

Vaccine Czar Carlito Galvez Jr. said Friday the Filipinos should accept the coronavirus vaccines —regardless of its brand — that the government will provide amid global supply shortage.

During the visit of Coordinated Operations to Defeat Pandemic (C.O.D.E.) Team in Pateros, Galvez recalled Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque’s remark that the public should not be “choosy” on vaccines they will receive.

“Tama si Secretary Roque na dapat kahit ano ang unang vaccine na darating sa atin, kunin na natin,” Galvez said.

He also assured the safety and effectiveness of vaccines procured by the government.

“Ang pinakaimportante po, 100 percent na tayo ay ma-save from severe hospitalization,” Galvez said.

Galvez made the remarks amid delay of vaccine deliveries, which initially expected to start inoculation among Filipinos in mid-February.

“In our vaccination plan, we have expected deliveries this February and March. We are still negotiating with them,” Galvez said.

Last month, Roque said Filipinos cannot afford to be “choosy” since the government did not know which brand will arrive first. He added the vaccination program is free.

So far, only vaccines from British pharmaceutical firm AstraZeneca and American pharmaceutical firm Pfizer-BioNTech have secured emergency use authorization from the country’s regulator, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).


RELATED ARTICLE: Manila Bulletin