TOP STORIES

6/recent/ticker-posts

As PH nears one year under quarantine, Palace touts ‘excellent’ gov't action vs COVID-19

By Deighton Acuin

PHOTO: Rappler/PCOO

Malacañang on Thursday has given itself a pat on the back anew for describing the government’s coronavirus response as “excellent,” as the Philippines was about to mark its first year under quarantine.

In an online Palace briefing, Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque said in contrast to richer countries, the government was able to mitigate the spread of the infectious disease.

When asked to assess the government’s efforts In addressing the pandemic, Roque said: “We were excellent.”

Roque added: “Na-control po natin ang pagkalat ng sakit lalong-lalo na kung ikukumpara tayo sa mas mayayaman at mga bansa na mas mararami at moderno ang mga ospital."

Pressed how he could conclude the government was “excellent” despite experiencing economic recession, Roque said the country is able to limit the number of mortalities compared to United States.

“We were excellent in managing it. Unfortunately habang walang bakuna, talagang maraming mahahawa at meron pa rin mamamatay. But we had limited deaths to around 12,000,” Roque said.

“Ikumpara mo naman ‘yan sa Estados Unidos. You are talking of hundreds and thousands of deaths in countries which are richer,” he went on. The US has so far recorded more than 524,000 deaths.

Moreover, Roque said the government was quick to impose Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) in order to strengthen the country’s medical facilities.

It was on March 15 last year when the government placed Metro Manila under ECQ. The next day, the government declared the entire Luzon under ECQ.


RELATED ARTICLE: Philippine Daily Inquirer