TOP STORIES

6/recent/ticker-posts

Palace: COVID-19 surge due to complacency

By Deighton Acuin

PHOTO: PCOO

People violating minimum health and safety standards should be attributed to the surge of COVID-19 cases, said Malacañang.

In a media briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque made the statement in response to the call of Iloilo City Mayor Jerry Treñas for more allocation of COVID-19 vaccines to arrest the surging of infections.

“I can assure Mayor Treñas that, unfortunately, pagdating po sa pagtaas ng kaso, ang solusyon po talaga ay ‘Mask, Hugas, Iwas’ at kabahagi po ng solusyon ay bakuna,” he said.

“Pero ang dahilan po talaga ng paglobo, yung kakulangan sa ‘Mask, Hugas, at Iwas.’ ‘Yan na po ay established fact. At tsaka yung mga new variants po,” Roque added.

The Palace official then assured Treñas the government is increasing the distribution of jabs in areas with COVID-19 spike.

“Nag-order nga po ang Presidente ng equitable distribution– damihan ang mga bakuna doon sa mga lugar na lumulobo ang mga kaso. ‘Yun naman ay pinapatupad natin ngayon,” he added.

The country has so far received 14,205,870 doses. By the numbers, 9,000,000 doses from China-based Sinovac Biotech, 2,556,000 doses from British firm AstraZeneca, 2,469,870 doses from Pfizer, and 180,000 doses from Russia’s Gamaleya Institute.

As of Tuesday, June 21, the Department of Health (DOH) reported 1,364,239 total COVID-19 cases, 1,284,643 recoveries, and 23,749 deaths.

Meanwhile, 8,222,759 COVID-19 vaccine doses have been administered in the country of which 6,102,625 individuals have received the first dose while 2,120,134 individuals have completed two doses.